Financial Capability & Asset Building (FCAB)
The Center for Social Development is engaged in building a body of evidence in financial capability, defined as both the knowledge to have access to appropriate and beneficial financial services and make optimal financial decisions. Our initiative focuses on financial capability across the life-cycle and inclusion of everyone. The American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare (AASWSW) selected “build financial capability and assets for all” as one of social work’s 12 Grand Challenges.
The aim of FCAB is two-fold: to underscore the importance of both financial capability and opportunity, and to reintroduce financial well-being into social work and human services.
- Engaging with other universities, disciplines, and professions in research, innovation, and application for financial capability.
- Building evidence for the efficacy of developing professional capacity in financial capability.
- Partnering with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic-serving institutions, Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), and other colleges and universities to ensure inclusion of culturally competent financial capability topics.
- Producing evidence-based educational materials and texts that will serve as resources for training social workers and other human services professionals. See FCAB educational resources.
Funding Partners: Wells Fargo Advisors, Arthur Vining Davis Foundations, National Endowment for Financial Education, Equifax Foundation
CSD Research Professor; Washington University in St. Louis
Financial Capability: Combining Access and Abilities,
Civic Service and Engagement
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor, Saint Louis University
CSD Research Professor, Washington University in St. Louis;
Inclusion in Asset Building: Toward Universal and Progressive Policies
- Email: email@example.com
CSD Faculty Director; Saint Louis University
Financial Capability: Combining Access and Abilities
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gena Gunn McClendon
Director of Community Engagement,
Director of the Voter Access and Engagement initiative,
Codirector of the Financial Capability and Asset Building initiative
- Email: email@example.com
CSD Associate Director; Director of Administration and Research;
Co-Director Financial Capability and Asset Building
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org